20 February 2013

Self-imposed road blocks

Overcoming the obstacles I've created for myself in my classes is wearing on me.  I want everything prefect.  My goals of teaching French in context are extremely difficult.  They require so much more planning, and in the end, I much prefer my courses in this style than simply when following the book.  However, I find my struggle to break away from the book is increasingly difficult when it comes to scaffolding students.  They need the book.  They love the structure of it.  After 2 years of following page by page to get them to their third year, they are reluctant to leave it. 

We start each day with 90 minutes of class.  Although I haven't used the book for all videos and quizzes, I've relied a lot on the worksheets and book exercises to help learn the language and grammar concepts. 

The students are working on the ideal Monarch project.  I need to blog about this later, how it's going and how I'd like to change it.


Things I'd like to create:
  • Est-ce que je peux posters for all conjugations.
  • Est-ce que je peux poster for various locations

Things on the agenda this year:
  • Teach 6th graders French
  • French Wedding reception for the Personal Finance Class
  • Read Les Misérables in English